Study Visa・Other Visa
To these customers
What is a study visa?
This is a visa that is necessary when you study at a Japanese university or graduate school.
The Immigration Control Act stipulates that “the activities for which students receive education at high schools, specialized training colleges, miscellaneous schools, or facilities and organization equivalent to the above with regard to the facilities and organization of universities, colleges of technology, high schools (including the latter term courses of secondary education schools) or schools for special needs education.”
In addition, in order to promote international exchange from a younger age, junior high and elementary school students will also be granted residency qualifications.
Requirements for Obtaining a Foreign Student Visa
- 1.The applicant must enter a Japanese university or an equivalent institution, a specialized course at a vocational school, an institution that provides education for those who have completed 12 years of school education in a foreign country to enter a Japanese university, or a college of technology and receive education (except in cases where the applicant is educated mainly at night or by correspondence).
- 2.The applicant must have sufficient assets, scholarships or other means to pay for the expenses required for living in Japan during his/her stay in Japan.
- 3.In cases where the applicant is to be educated solely as a research student or auditor, he/she must be admitted to the school based on his/her major of study conducted by the institution where he/she is to be educated, and must attend classes at least 10 hours a week.m. per week.
- 4. The applicant must have received at least six months’ Japanese education at an educational institution that provides Japanese language education for foreign nationals and is designated by the Minister of Justice in a public notice, must have a Japanese language ability sufficient to receive education at a vocational school, or must have received at least one year’s education at a school (excluding kindergartens) provided for in Article 1 of the School Education Law. The vocational school concerned must have a full-time staff member in charge of guidance for foreign students’s daily life.
- 5. If the applicant is to receive Japanese education, the institution concerned must be an educational institution designated in a public notice by the Minister of Justice.
Procedures for Examination in Japan before studying abroad
If you come to Japan to take the examination, you will need to obtain a “short-term stay” visa for the purpose of taking the examination at the Japanese Embassy overseas with the examination slip of the school you are taking.The period of stay is 15 days, 30 days, or 90 days, but if you complete the entrance procedure during that period, you may be granted permission to change your visa status in Japan.
Required Documents for Applying for a Foreign Student Visa
- ・Present the original passport, etc.
- ・Application for issuance of a certificate of eligibility (download from the Ministry of Justice website)
- ・One photo 4cm x 3cm wide (note the applicant’s name on the back of the photo taken within 3 months before the application and affix it to the photo column of the application form)
- ・One return envelope (one with an address on the standard envelope and a simple registered postage stamp)
- ・A copy of the admission permit (issued by the educational institution that is planning to enroll)
- ・Certificate of the applicant’s deposit balance or the person paying the expenses
- ・Certificate of employment, income certificate, tax certificate, and expense payment form of the expense payer
- ・Document certifying the relationship between the applicant and the person paying the expenses.
You can consult in Chinese and English, or if you make a reservation, you can consult after hours or on Saturdays and Sundays.First, please contact us by telephone or by using the inquiry form.
Please consult with the person in charge for the timing of payment and the success fee.We ask you to accept the estimate and the service contents.
Common questions about a study visa
Q.How long is your study visa?
A.There are three years, three months, four years, three months, three years, two years, three months, two years, three months, one year, three months, one year, six months, and three months.
However, if you are an exchange student or a Japanese language school other than a vocational school, you can choose one year, three months, one year and one year, six months and three months.
Q.Is it possible to work part-time on a study visa?
A.In order for foreign students to work part-time, they need to obtain a “Permission to Engage in Activities Other than the Permit
However, please note that you are not allowed to work in entertainment business or sex business (cabaret, dance hall, bar, mahjong shop, pachinko parlor, private room massage, etc.)